Thursday, October 18, 2012

Scary Story Contest Winners!

The votes are in, and here are the winners of the Teen Read Week Scary Short Story contest! Thanks to all who participated!

"Insanity" by Stormy

"Ha Ha! Ha Ha! You can't find me!" taunted a child's voice echoing off the walls of the long, dim hallway that I found myself walking down. It was dark, and I could barely make out anything but the strange, eerie shadows that seemed to move about. I stumbled forward, trying to make my way down when I almost tripped over something soft. Regaining my balance, I picked up the large, soft object and shifted it into better light.

It was an overstuffed, plush bunny with an eye tore out... and something dry but sticky was on its paws.

"Awe, that's not me, that's Billy Bunny!" She sounded disappointed. "One more strike and I win though!" She got giddy again. Billy Bunny... that sounded so familiar...

I found myself stumbling down the hall again, ducking into random rooms, searching frantically for this invisible girl. Room after room I found nothing but plaster falling from ceilings, padding falling from walls, and bars that looked like they were slowly rusting away.

But it was only when I saw a stray straight-jacket on the floor that I realized that I was in an old asylum.

I opened door after door frantically looking for the strange little girl in this long, never-ending ward.

Yet there was no one.

No one behind squeaky metal doors. No one behind shreds of falling debris. No one in old, rickety closets that scattered down the hall, or even trying to hide behind an overturned wheel chair.

"Awe! You're getting boring!" She sounded slightly annoyed. "Hurry! Come and find me!" Her voice sounded so close, yet at the same time there was no one around me.

I ducked into one final room. Shoving the heavy door open... to find a bathroom. Men's, according to the broken urinal on the wall.

There were two stalls. One with a broken door that looked as if it had been kicked down, the other perfectly fine. I moved aside the broken door, knowing that a small child could fit in the space between the toilet and the door. "Nope. One more chance."

I tried to push open the other stall door, realizing that it was a pull and not a push from the outside. It didn't matter, there was nothing there but a lonesome white ribbon. Such a pretty white ribbon...

"Dang it!" I screamed, turning around wanting to punch and kick something. I stomped up to the mirror on the wall. Flustered, I looked into the mirror, not wanting to carry on with the day.

And found a girl staring at me.

"Ha ha! You found me!" she said. But her lips didn't move. That's when I realized that she was me.

And I was back in the asylum I had once called home...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Haunted House" by Jenny

There once lived a girl named Jessie who told everyone she was scared of nothing. Or was she?

One day her friends asked if she wanted to come to a Haunted House with them. These are the exact words she said. "Uhh... Uhh... Sure." So they all went to the haunted house.

But the guy who was running it said "Only three at a time." So Jessie's friends said "Let's go on in" but she said "I have to go to the bathroom." So three of her friends went inside, and when they came out they looked so scared.

Then it was Jessie's turn. She went with two of her other friends and sat on the chairs. The chairs took them in different places so each friend went in a different direction, and they were all alone. All of the sudden, Frankenstein jumped out of nowhere! Jessie screamed for the first time and then Frankenstein asked Jessie for her brain...

Frankenstein was getting closer and closer to Jessie but then he stepped on a button and fell onto the ground. Then a guy with a chainsaw came running after her and the chainsaw looked really really sharp! Jessie was screaming more than ever, then she turned right and the guy with the chainsaw went left. Then she saw an opening, and the ride was over.

She tried to look happy but she couldn't. When she got out she said "I am sorry I lied and told you I was scared of nothing." All of her friends said "It's okay."

From then on she never lied again.

No comments: